When considering the care needs of your loved one, it is hard to know what is best for everyone. How do you decided between choosing an assisted living or long-term care facility or providing care in the home? If you choose to provide care in the home, you then need to decide between working with a licensed in-home care agency, hiring private caregivers, or providing the care yourself. Before you decide, though, what your loved one may need, consider filling out this worksheet to determine exactly what it is that you are looking for.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Are you someone who likes to be in control?
- Do you like administrative work?
- What is a realistic assessment of your time?
- Do you have the support of other family members in the home?
- Do you have the support of other family members outside of the home?
- Whose assets are being used — yours or your loved one?
- Have you consulted with an accountant?
- How are your time management skills and attention to detail?
- Is your home suitable and safe for your loved one?
Every family is different and there isn’t a right or wrong decision. Making an informed decision is the best decision.